Megalo Ekklesia - The Great Church

Agia Sofia, romantic refiguration
Romantic refiguration of Megalo Ekklesia

  • 360 - First built by emperor Theodosios (379-395)
  • 404 - Burned to the ground
  • 415 - Rebuilt by emperor Theodosios II (408-450)
  • 532 - Razed again by fire during the Nika revolt
  • 537 - Rebuilt by emperor Justinian (527-565)
  • 557 - Collapse of dome and construction of new dome
  • 867 - Dedication of Virgin Mary Mosaic in the apse
  • 1054 - Excommunication of Patriarch of Constantinople at main altar by Pope Leo IX
  • 1203 - Vandalized and looted by crusaders of 4th Crusade
  • 1344 - Major earthquake, followed by partial collapse of dome
  • 1453 - Repairs and conversion into Mosque by Sultan Mehmed II
  • 1934 - Converted into museum by order of Kemal Atatürk

Agia Sofia, floor plan

Agia Sofia

 

 

 

Free counter and web stats

 

Start  

Start
Building history
Procopius-De Aedificis
Exterior views
Main Hall
Gates
North Gallery
South Gallery
West Gallery
Mosaics
Ceiling decorations